I'm a mom of two beautiful girls trying to get healthy in order to be a good role model.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Back Injury

The day I turned 30, I injured my back.  I was bending over putting on my daughters shoes and sweater and when I stood back up - incredible pain.  For 3 days I was literally walking like an old woman, hunched over and slow.  It hurt to go up stairs, it hurt to carry my baby, it hurt to do anything.  That was a Wednesday.  By Monday I was feeling almost normal so I decided to go to the gym.  I did my usual 1:1 running and went super easy on the weight machines and even skipped the ones where I used my back.  That night, I was in incredible pain again.  This time it took about a week and a half to feel better.  The original back injury occured 3 weeks ago and even tonight, I am still not pain free.  It is incredibly depressing.  As you can read by my last post, I was at a point where I was so motivated. I was losing consistant weight again.  I was working out hard.  I was eating healthy.  I was feeling like my body was strong. 

Needless to say, my eating suffered.  I had a few moments where I ate my frustration.  Probably more than a few moments.  I obviously stopped going to the gym.  For me, I exercise and my healthy eating follows.  Putting the effort into a workout makes me want to eat healthy in order to not "waste" that workout.  Taking the exercise out of the equation caused my eating to go haywire.  I can't tell you how many times I told myself that if I don't exercise I could still lose weight if I stick to my caloric intake.  It is totally possible.  More often than not, I ignored myself. 

This week has been a turnaround.  I've gone to the gym twice.  Tonight I even ran 2 minutes, walked 1 for 21 minutes and then continued to walk for another 30 minutes at a 2.0 incline.  I've gotten back into my healthy eating (mostly).  I weighed in this week at 179.  One pound gain is not too shabby for me.  I was seriously expecting way worse.  With 4 weeks left of mat leave, I'm hoping I can make the most of it.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I am exactly the same way, eating well and exercise go hand in hand. If I don't do one, I find it that much harder to do the other.

I'm sorry that you hurt your back! An injury like that is really hard to stay positive throughout, but it looks like you came through it shining. Way to go for getting right back into the swing of things!